Terry C. Martin

Saturday, October 25, 2008

JavaFX Community Possibly Clueless or What?

I've been modestly interested in Sun's new JavaFX technology and their accompanying Kernel installation capabilities to streamline Java installations and speed up startup times, particularly in applets. So, I've been researching more and more, especially now that they've just released their 1.6u10 as final. I've been searching the net for lots of working JavaFX examples, and you know what I'm finding...... a whole bunch of Java Webstart crap and VERY FEW in-browser JavaFX applets. This is pretty stupid to me! Perhaps I'm just jumping the gun, but it seems to me that if devs had the time to build, compile and post webstart versions of these apps, they could've gone ahead and made applets too. If you don't have the updated 1.6u10 in which to run the stuff, it should degrade nicely and you should still be able to try out the webstart version (which might even be a nice touch although maybe you'd still need 1.6u10 to run the webstart versions too? (I don't know)). Anyway, all these people writing these JavaFX demos that start in webstart need to remind themselves that this technology's primary competetion right now, is Flash/Flex running in the browser. I want to see all this stuff running as applets FIRST! Also, I'm slightly alarmed by the start times I've seen so far for the few JavaFX applets I have seen, that do very modest things. I counted somewhere around 10 seconds for a pretty brain-dead applet to startup on a page. I'm keeping my eye on that. That's totally unacceptable as a technology trying to compete against Flash/Flex (and now Silverlight too). Sun better get on it. Oh, one more thing mentioned by many others as well - we've GOT TO SEE VIDEO in these things. Sun, I really hope you're reading this!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home